The chancery was purchased by the Liberian government in 1947. Initially, the 16th Street property was used as both the ambassador’s residence and chancery during the tenure of the first Liberian ambassador to the United States, H.E. Charles D.B. King. Ambassador King later purchased the property located at 5303 Colorado Avenue N.W. to serve as the ambassador's residence. Subsequently, Ambassador George Padmore acquired the property at 3507 Fulton Street N.W. which currently serves as the ambassador’s residence.